Carter J. Nichols, M.D.
Dr. Nichols’s lifelong passion for astronomy and optics led to his interest in ophthalmology. After an intense undergraduate program in physics, astronomy and chemistry, he pursued his medical education and training in Milwaukee, culminating in his graduation in the 99th percentile on the American Board of Ophthalmology written examination.
Now with more than twenty years in practice, Dr. Nichols is one of the most skilled and experienced refractive and cataract surgeons in Minnesota, specializing in LASIK and premium intraocular lens implant technology. He has also been the lead author of papers published in the journals Ophthalmology and the American Journal of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Nichols has long been active in providing eye care to the less fortunate, volunteering his time and surgical skills throughout his career, including performing surgeries in Nicaragua in association with VOSH International, Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity.
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Minnesota Academy of Ophthalmology
- Undergraduate: Colgate University, Hamilton, New York, B.A. in Physical Sciences, Cum Laude
- Medical Degree: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Internship: St. Joseph’s Hospital, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Residency: Medical College of Wisconsin Eye Institute, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Dr. Nichols provides care at the Edina Eye offices in Edina, Burnsville, Shakopee, Chaska, Waconia.